Saturday, May 27, 2006

Squares Books and Wire

The pile of squares are growing. Here's how they look as part of the plan for the rug. I've been concentrating on getting the solid squares done as I know I'm short of yarn. I started out with the intention of using up some of my yarn stash and now I have to add to it!!! As I bought this yarn over a year ago I know I'm not going to match lot numbers so I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable on the striped squares. I've ordered the yarn and am awaiting it's arrival. Of course, it wasn't possible to just buy yarn for this project so I'll reveal all when the post arrives next week.

Speaking of shopping, these arrived in the post. (See the way I made that sound like it just happened of it's own accord!)Amazingly I haven't purchased a Yarn Harlot book before so I thought I'd start with the newest one. Aparently it's a change in format from her previous books in that she actually has some patterns or recipes as she calls them. Her wit remains the same though and since the Knitting Olympics I've been an avid reader of the Yarn Harlot blog. I must put her other books on a wishlist somewhere and hope that they will mysteriously wing their way to my home! The Happy Hooker I'm delighted to receive. I've been thinking about learning to crochet for a while now and I hope this book is going to teach me how. Now all is I need is some time off to study!!!

I've also received some other goodies in the post - craft wire. I have knitted with non-conventional materials before - i.e. not yarn but unfortunately the results have not been worth the effort. I have great hopes for this wire though. I have a pattern for a small wire box and I'm going to give it a go. If it works out I plan to make some large cubes for some shelving to nicely display my ever expanding yarn stash. Till the postie comes again, slan.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I just bought The Happy Hooker at Hughes & Hughes

11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rats, clicked too soon. As I was saying, I just bought the Happy Hooker recently. Part of me wants to learn crochet too. Gotta fit it in, though, between knitting and weaving projects. What was I thinking?!?

11:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The squares are looking dead smashing Sharon!! You will have that puppy knit up before you know it. Can't wait to see what else you've purchased. The books look fab as well. I will look forward to your reviews. Isn't that weird the way things just happen to arrive...smile? I must have the same mail carrier...LOL! I used to crochet. It is much faster than knitting. Bet you'll love it!

3:24 am  
Blogger tangelled angel said...

I've looked at this book and put it down again, and picked it up again, and put it down again. I'd like to learn how to crochet but think I may do the spinning first and see what happens from there. You are busy these days! Hows the sunrise jacket coming along?

12:55 am  
Blogger Liz said...

I have knit and woven with wire, and it is really quite an interesting endeavour. Once you get the hang of it it knits up fairly quickly. Keep an eye out for kinks in the wire and tou should do fine. Good luck!

3:39 am  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

Your squares are looking so perfect! I am just thankful I don't have to be the one to put them all together when your done. Those are great books. Especially The Happy Hooker. Great designs in there.

7:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those squares are insipring!!!

2:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home