Monday, May 08, 2006

Wimbledon - Wexford style!

It seems a little crazy to still be talking about last weekend when the current one is almost over. I'll be brief so and may come back to this weekend at some other stage! We had some friends down to stay with us in Wexford and we got to play tennis in our local club. It was great. I should explain a little about the tennis. Both myself and my husband joined the tennis club three years ago and each year something prevented both of us from playing - complete madness. So, this year's membership renewal came around and after serious contemplation we decided we'd join for one more year on the proviso that we actually played - radical I know. My husband has played tennis before, in fact was quite good at it but hasn't played in recent years and I'm a complete beginner. The only thing to do in that scenario is to throw yourself right into it, so when the Austin Channing League details went up at the end of January both of us signed up - now we were committed. The Austin Channing League is a singles league played over three months and you play up to four matches a month. Depending on how you perform at the end of the each month you move up or down a table. I'm not going to comment on my progress but I will say I really enjoyed the tennis match last Sunday for lots of reasons but one in particular - I was on the winning side - for once actually, for the only time ever!!!!!!! It helped that my partner (my friends boyfriend) plays for Lansdowne in Dublin, he was the tennis captain last year so it probably comes as no surprise we won although it was quite a tight match. I also had the pleasure of beating my husband at tennis - competitive - me - what?

The picture above is of some of the courts - the club overlooks the Slaney estuary and on a sunny day it's a fabulous setting to play or sit and watch others. The club also has a boating element actually it was a boat club before it became a boat and tennis club and as you can imagine much politics are involved. Here's another pic of the other side of the club. Isn't it fab?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home