New Year New Beginnings
So this is a wrap up 2006, plans for 2007 post – a little late.
I finished up the Jaywalkers – I haven’t yet photographed them though so I’ll try to have that done for the next time I’m online. They are my last F.O. for 2006 (ok, technically I may have had to finish the toe on 1st January, but they are still in the 2006 pile – I make the rules around here!).
So, starting with a clean slate – the Jaywalkers were my one and only WIP at the time, I started the new year with a case of wait for it, startitis. I knew I would, I just couldn’t resist.
So, here’s the pile of WIP’s.
1st up is a ribbed beanie hat I am making for Cathal, believe it or not although it’s summer here if it’s a bad day and the southerlies are in full force a warm hat is exactly what you need. So, I’m expecting this to be the first F.O. of 2007. I bought the yarn in Knit World in Wellington, a quite well stocked yarn store although the pattern books leave a lot to be desired.
I’m checking out the knitting group scene and will let you know more when I know more myself.
Second up is a little scarf/necktie I am making for myself. I brought this yarn with me from Ireland from my stash (and it’s an Australian yarn). It’s Kaalund Yarns Enchante – 100% silk in Pawpaw shade. The recommended needle size is 2mm!!! I am knitting my scarf on 5mm needles to give it a light and airy feel. Very early days remains to be seen how this will progress but I do love the very subtle shades in this yarn.
The last WIP is a biggie, finally I have started the Apricot Jacket from Rebecca 27. I have already run into problems though. I had a search online and found that there are a number of errors in the pattern. However it’s not the errors that I have a problem with it’s the vagueness of the pattern – a few other bloggers mentioned the same issue and they all said that they just tried to study the picture to figure it out. I’m a little annoyed to be honest. I went to considerable effort to get this pattern and to find that it’s less than informative is disappointing. I’m at the stage where I have worked a number of rows beyond the 20cm ribbing and it’s just not looking right – I think I have done everything the pattern asks me to do – so, what to do? I may just persevere for another little while and see if all works out or I may frog back and start again. To be honest procrastination in taking either course has led to the startitis with the other two WIPs. I will say one thing for the Apricot Jacket, it is so lovely to be knitting with a yarn that calls for 5mm needles and the Rowan All Seasons Cotton I am using is very nice to the touch, so easy to knit with and grows so quickly – quite a contrast from sock yarn.
Ok, I may sign off for the moment, I wish everyone a very happy new year full of all things crafty. We rung it in at the Matterhorn in Wellington – we had a great night although it was a little weird not to be surrounded by friends and texting them instead knowing that we were 13 hours ahead. It was great to get phonecalls at midnight Irish time though – so I got to ring in the new year twice (albeit that I was a little hungover for the second one).
A big thank you to all my knitting buddies around the world, for calling by my blog during the year, helping me out with yarn or pattern acquisition and for commenting - it's great to hear from you all. I'm not making any new years resolutions this year (secretly, I have the same ones as every year, eat less, exercise more etc etc) - as we changed our lives so much in the latter half of 2006 I am just planning on living life to the full in 2007 in the southern hemisphere.


6 Comments:
Ohhhhhh, my favourite bar.
Happy New Year, Sharon. I look forward to reading your adventures in 2007.
Glad to see all of your fibre posts here again! Missed em while we were gone! Hope to keep in touch during your year down under and all the best to you and C in 2007...
Hi Sharon, Happy New Year. Really enjoying your blog.That cardi looks great, hope the pattern works out for you. Ger
(www.turtleknits.blogspot.com)
Its only in the early stages yet and I've a lot to learn
Thanks for your text on NYE,was a lovely surprise and even better to be able to text you back (I must admit to having to reread both your text and my reply the next afternoon as had had a few glassess of the evil vino by that stage...)Hope 2007 is very fruitful for you and you have a fantastic time travelling!
Congrats on finishing your Jaywalkers. Mine are done to the heel, I'm bummed though--they're too small, I'll have to give to my sister. I enjoy your blog. Happy New Year from Michigan!
Post a Comment
<< Home