Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm a shopper.

Carrie: “Honey, if it hurts so much, why are we going shopping?”

Samantha: “I have a broken toe, not a broken spirit”.

Sex and the City Quote

When we came to NZ it was with a view to taking some time out and seeing a bit of the world. So, when that’s your viewpoint that’s where the funds have to go, most of the funds that is, I still have to be able to buy yarn! But it has meant doing without other things, not much really, we’re not deprived but it has meant that I haven’t been out shopping for clothes in the longest time. That’s a slight exaggeration I have bought clothes but they’ve been more of the functional “need warm items for colder weather” type. Not fashion, not what’s new, frivolous, colourful and what I’d call “going out” clothing. Boots, bags, accessories, the sort of things I have a range to select from at home.

I really wondered how I’d fare here, would I enjoy wearing my functional combat trousers, tramping boots and backpack, would I miss my handbags, my finer clothes and shoes, would I even enjoy not focussing much on my clothing. Well I thought I was doing just fine, I still window shop and look longingly at the seasons tempting treats displayed in store windows but I’ve been good about not succumbing. Until last Saturday that is.

Last Saturday I had a hair appointment in Wellington and straight after I met my husband who declared the new “do” a success – I really didn’t change too much, I still have long hair, just a few more layers and a fringe. The plan was to go for lunch but as we both weren’t that hungry I suggested maybe I might spend an hour on my own “window shopping”. I really didn’t have a plan I just wanted to have a look around. I might have had in my head that we are going out for dinner that evening to a really nice restaurant and I had nothing suitable to wear but I really didn’t plan on being bold.

As my hour was coming to a close my husband met me at the shop where I just happened to spy the most beautiful crushed silky type wrap around top in cream, red and turquoise. The sort of turquoise that would go really well with the one pair of dressy shoes I have here. The sort of beautiful top that would be totally out of place tramping, the sort of top I’m not supposed to be buying this year. So, I did what I had to do. I bought it. I’m still smiling but the difficult part is that I feel I have just unleashed the beast.

My sister arrives a week tomorrow and she’s a shopper too, pity my husband.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lien said...

One of the things I gave up when I realized I couldn't work for a while is shopping. The Limey happily funds yarn and such because he knows it makes me happy, but clothes shopping didn't, really. I just did it because, if I'm in town on a Saturday, well...it just seems like that's what everyone else does.

So now, I don't even look in the shops. I don't think, Oh, let's just see what there is. I just ignore them. They're not really tempting me, because I'm not even allowing them space in my head for it.

11:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home