Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Wool Company

Thankfully, I'm beginning to feel a bit more energetic but today is the first day I haven't needed to go asleep in the afternoon. Hopefully I'll continue feeling better and will be back fighting fit before the week is out. Needless to say there hasn't been much going on here with the sickness. We didn't go anywhere for the Easter weekend but I haven't yet shown my new yarn source that I discovered on the way home from Lake Taupo a few weekends ago, so hopefully that will distract from the lack of knitting content of late. (I have actually been knitting though, in fact I have 2 finished items but until I'm back to better form, modelling will not be happening).

I recalled when we first arrived in NZ and drove from the top of the North island to Wellington that we passed a wool business on State Highway 1 - I couldn't exactly recall where it was but I was certain that this time I wasn't going to let Cathal just drive by. So, when we were heading back from Lake Taupo I had my eyes peeled. We stopped off at The Brown Sugar Cafe in Taihape for a coffee and I took over the driving! Just after we left Taihape we came across a sign for wool, and then another one and before long I spotted this. Since I was in the driving seat literally, there was no debate - I took a swift left and found myself fondling lots of yarn here. They have a nice range of pure wool yarns and I let some of them speak to me.

These 5 skeins of Orchard Utiku 8ply came home with me. At $13 for a 200g skein, it was impossible to resist. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to knit with it yet but since I'm doing well just knitting for myself this year I see no reason to break the pattern. I have no doubt a zipped cardie would do this yarn justice. I LOVE the colours in these skeins, there's brown, red, green, dusky pink and a winey colour, divine.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that yarn would be speaking to me from the shelves, too! Very yummy colours! Good buy!

9:07 pm  
Blogger Holly said...

YUMMY!! I love that! It's no wonder you had to have it!

7:09 am  
Blogger Stell said...

I wish i lived near Taupo after seeing that, still a road trip is on the cards some time,
my email is stella1@tekotago.ac.nz, and if you are down to this end of the country again some time .... anyime.
stella

7:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey, that's some lovely looking yarn.
I love how you just 'happened' to be driving when you got to the wool shop.

9:28 am  
Blogger Lien said...

How did I miss that while we were driving over there?! Huge letters on the roof and everything! I must have been asleep.

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home