Thursday, June 14, 2007

Christchurch & Ashburton goodies

I'm a bad blogger, it's not like I don't have lots to share. There's WIPs, FOs, and additions to the tool kit to facilitate working on a new fibrey interest but first I'll start with the stash enhancement.

You might recall that I already did a little stash purchasing at the beginning of our trip in the South Island in Nelson. Next stop was Christchurch and once I saw this sign I knew I was in business.In the Arts Centre, I found lots of cute crafty shops but of course the one that interested me the most was the one run by the Christchurch Guild of Weavers and Spinners. There was lots of beautiful handspun yarns there but with all my strength I resisted the urge to go on a spending spree and contented myself with this cute multicoloured skein. I also found a few buttons in a sewing shop which begged to be taken home. After Christchurch we were headed for Mount Cook, enroute I insisted on a stop at Ashburton to call to Ashford Handicrafts. They have a cafe there so the other 2 were happy enough to sit and eat while I browsed and eh, yeh, shopped. They had quite the range of yarn and of course spinning equipment and fibre.

But I was singular in purpose. I knew if there was anywhere on my trip to get a wool winder it was here. And so it was. I do have a wool winder at home in Ireland but I bought it on ebay and I've since discovered that it's actually a cone winder and regardless it's starting to click and stick a lot when I am winding yarn which is annoying but perhaps the most salient point is that it is in Ireland and I'm not and neither is the increasingly large collection of skeined yarns. So, it was a necessary purchase - too much justification?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

OOOOOH...I love the Ashford Handicrafts store!! Thanks for sharing.

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you are having lots of fun while traveling. A ball winder is very handy, I keep meaning to get one, but I haven't done it yet.

Your buttons are very pretty.

8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, imagine getting to an Ashford store!! the spinning wheels look great!Not to mention the amount of yarn shops you seem to be coming across , oh to have that choice *sigh*

8:51 am  
Blogger Meg said...

The sheep in the footpath is so adorable! You showed an amazing amount of restraint in those shops, I'm not sure how you do it!

10:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home